Friday, January 21, 2011

Let's take ten, shall we?


How do you know when you've gone on too many first dates?  When you rather sit on your couch alone and watch thursday night tv and play on your laptop or read a book than have to sit through one...more....interview first date. (btw I totally started reading BOOKS again! No not articles on the internet, but actual books made from paper, that you flip the pages and you know, read! ....one of my many new year's resolutions).

Sometimes you just need to take a step back and take a breather. And that's exactly what I'm doing. Maybe it's because it's winter and it's only natural to want to hibernate. Or maybe it's because I was overly ambitious when I first joined an online dating site last summer, going on upwards of 6 dates sometimes in a week, not joking, I double booked on more than one occassion (meet bachelor #1 for early drinks and do your best not to appear drunk when you rush off to meet date #2 for later drinks and dinner to sober up).Or maybe I just am boreddddd of asking and answering the same questions over and over and over again. "How do you like your job?" Not much. "What do you want to do?" I DON'T KNOW! It's like the American version of the tiresome Argentine question "Where you from??"

Whatever it is, I am taking a much needed break from first dates, at least for a few weeks. I was supposed to go out with someone last night and I couldn't even be bothered to text the guy back to decide where to meet. It may have been a bit callous, but I don't know him, and I think he'll get over it. It's easy to tell when someone's faking it and really doesn't want to be there. There's a stench to it and I don't want to be giving off that stench, so I'm not gonna. I think after sitting on my couch for a sufficient amount of time I'll eventually want to brave the storm again and get back out there (quite literally sometimes, I cancelled a date last week due to snow conditions, can ya blame a girl?), but for now I'm going to curl up with Judd Apatow's "I Found This Funny," and call it a (very pleasant) night.

No comments:

Post a Comment