Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Goodbye caveman cell phone, HELLO smartphone!

After my return to the US this past Spring, overwhelmed by the prospect of smartphones that became omnipresent during my stint in South America, I decided to opt for a standard flip-phone. When I went into Verizon, I was shocked that there were literally 2 models of flip-phones, and 83 bajillion models of smartphones. 6 months later and I couldn't take it anymoreee. I was the only person I knew who couldn't connect to the internet at all times, and mockery from friends aside (of which there was plenty), I knew it was time to get with the program. After taking the (very late) plunge, I know now I can never ever go back to a simpler time. A time when you could say, "Oh, I wasn't by my computer, I didn't see that email," "I don't know the answer to that question because I don't have google in my pocket," etc. A few of the changes that I'm oh-so-happy about are as follows:  
  • The map and gps feature - Before this I would literally hand draw maps onto a napkin to show me where I was going, especially when I first moved to NY. And I constantly was texting myself addresses filling up my inbox (there was an inbox capacity of 100 texts, and when I forgot to delete texts and my inbox became full, incoming texts were rejected taking up to hours to resend on occassion).
  • I no longer have to flip back and forth between my text inbox and outbox to see a flow of a conversation. Before I had to scroll through my inbox and see what someone said last before I could respond, eating probably dozens of hours.
  • A keyboard: goodbye t-9 word.
  • EMAIL (facebook, weather, games, etc).
  • Things to read on long subway rides, aka NYTimes and my blogs of choice.
  • Mobile uploads! Now I too can share all the pointless "funny" things I see and do with acquaintances near and far!
  • And last but certainly not least, having something to hold to stave off awkwardness with while every person around me is incessentaly playing on their phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment