Thursday, November 18, 2010

How much of human life is lost in waiting


If there’s something I have little to no patience for, it’s a long line. Unfortunately, as a New Yorker, lines are as much a part of life as the tutu-wearing homeless man on your corner, or bedbugs.  There are just so many freakin’ people everywhere you go – especially if you go somewhere new/cool/cheap/fun/famous/touristy/the-list-goes-on-and-on-and-on. Today I experienced the hell that is the supermarket line. The Trader Joes in Union Square (I know you’re sighing if you’ve ever been there) is literally unlike anything I’ve seen before. It’s known for its very high quality food at very low prices, but as a result the line is INSANE. I’ve walked in and walked out numerous times in the past, after catching a glimpse of the path of people snaking in and out of aisles throughout the entire store. You literally have to shop while you are waiting in line. 

I just wanted a pie. One pie. I could’ve made one, but a store bought one is so much easier and quicker (wrong!).  I decided to grin and bear it and wait in the infinite procession to the checkout. It took 17 minutes, but who’s counting? I could’ve literally baked a pie in 17 minutes. OK not quite, but at least prepared it and put it in the oven in that time.  Personally, I rather splurge for a more expensive pie than wait interminably.  That got me thinking, what would I wait in line for? The answer is pretty much nothing for more than ten minutes. That’s my limit. But then again, I have a patience problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment